St John Hurricane Irma Updates
As many of you know, the US Virgin Islands suffered two Category 5 hurricanes, Irma and Maria, within just a few weeks of each other. The destruction was incredible. But so has the relief efforts. Established St John community organizations have been joined by several high profile relief efforts – notably, Michael Bloomberg and country star and St John property owner, Kenny Chesney!
Now is a great time to visit the island of St John
- Over 80%+ of the Island has power!
- National Park beaches have reopened!
- Local businesses in Cruz Bay and Coral Bay have reopened!
- Charters, diving, activities companies have reopened!
- Restaurants and bars have reopened!
- Grocery stores have reopened!
- Rental car agencies are open!
- Gas stations have reopened!
- St Thomas, Cyril E. King Airport is open!
- Passenger and car ferries have reopened!
While the Island is still in recovery, much of what we all love about Love City, St John can be enjoyed. The beautiful aqua-blue waters are clear and warm. Many of the beaches are actually larger/wider post hurricanes! The majestic coconut palms were largely destroyed – but those that remain are showing signs of life and growing new fronds! Marine life … including sea turtles, rays, coral and fish … have returned in measurable numbers! The hillsides are green again. And for those that know St John, you’ll be rewarded with some of the new vistas created when trees fell – opening up wonderful panoramas!
So, yes, the island of St John is ready for guests to return. In fact, an important next stage in our recovery is the return of tourism.